Monday, June 20, 2011

How I spent my 10 day vacation

  • Well my twelve days of rest are coming to an end and just like everything else they seem to have flown by. Staying with Nathan and Cole has given me everything that I wanted out of this time. I’ve gotten back on my healthy eating habits and been able to walk about 6 miles or more everyday; already I’ve begun to see my neck recede, revealing my jaw line a little again. I’ve read the books The Grapes of Wrath and The Screwtape Letters and thanks to Nate’s iTunes library I’ve been able to listen to other C.S. Lewis audio-books on my long walks like The Great Divorce and The Abolition of Man . I’ve had a chance to do a little thrifting around Pichilemu and I found a Patagonia fleece in great shape for only 6 bucks and I’ve worn it pretty much everyday since. I’ve been making time for doing my Rosetta Stone language learning software that’s still working. I sat in on a DTS class that Mitch Anderson was teaching and I’ve still been able to attend the base church service every week and of course had plenty of time to do my quiet time every morning and re-read the notes I took in the theatrical phase of my DTS.

  • My favorite part about this time though has been the fellowship I’ve gotten to have with all the Christians living in this house. While reflecting on how cool it was living with four other “super-committed” Christians (that all speak English) I remembered exactly where I was 2 years ago. One night in particular stood out starkly in my memory. I was having a beer at The Rush Inn and, for reasons that only my friends I was there with know, I was thinking especially clear; I remember thinking this thought: “Even though I like everyone I’m here with, I wouldn’t consider any of these people my role models.” I proceeded by not drinking for the rest of the summer and while this impressed some people, didn’t really aide me in spending time with different friends.

  • 1st John 2:3-6
    “And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.”

  • It’s wild living with people who I can say have really “come to know Jesus.” Something I always felt I was missing from the DTS was anything resembling a “best-friend” style friendship and I feel like God has used this time to remind me that this is something He still wants to give me. Everyday I’ve been able to have great conversations and discussions about things I’m learning and it’s been great having meals and watching movies together (Incidentally, I now have to recommend the Ben Stein documentary Expelled and also the documentary The Star of Bethlehem . I would recommend both of these films to people that appreciate scientific/historical proof that Christianity is correct)

  • The Counseling School begins in 2 days and I don’t know exactly what form this blog will take when it does. I’ve been told that the Counseling School goes “deeper” and more personal than the DTS and I’m going to make an effort to be honest with everyone about what I’m learning and not keep you in the dark until the next outreach.
  • Photobucket

  • Here’s the average morning spread. I have to thank my hosts so much for letting me treat this house as my own and not stress.

  • Photobucket

  • Another answer to prayer I forgot to include in my last entry: Check out the sweet Argentinean Mate set the other outreach team brought back for me!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment